Today, 123 birds were killed or euthanized at a Suncor tar sands facility in Alberta. It is likely the toxic tailings pond they were on or near killed them. The Alberta Energy Regulator (AER) is days away from deciding if it will accept Suncor's toxic tailings plan, and we need to make sure they reject it. Make a call to the AER now and ask it to reject Suncor's plan.
Here are some things you can say:
- I am calling on you to reject Suncor's flawed tailings plan.
- Suncor, as the first company to file its plan, and the largest oil sands operator, will set the stage for how other companies' plans are evaluated, and the AER needs to ensure this and other plans are more ambitious.
- Suncor is relying on cheaper tailings technology that is unproven, more risky, and less likely to work.
- Following today's migratory bird deaths, the Alberta Energy Regulator needs to prioritize ensuring the industry sets ambitious and safe plans for cleaning up the mess.
- The Alberta Energy Regulator to uphold its mandate to protect the environment, communities and future generations -- and ensure that Canadian taxpayers won't be on the hook for billions in the future.